Federal Express Canada Ltd. is part of the world’s largest express transportation company. Our award winning organization puts its people first based on our People-Service-Profit philosophy. We offer a comprehensive rewards package to all permanent full-time and part-time employees, which includes: dynamic work environments, competitive salary and bonus opportunities and a promote from within policy.
As a global leader, FedEx embraces and reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. Our culture fosters an environment where we recognize and reward the contributions of our employees.
If these are the types of challenges and rewards you are seeking, FedEx may be the place for you!
To assist in the recording, maintenance and review of the company’s Canadian financial data through direct responsibility for accounts of the greatest complexity. To provide leadership in the design and evaluation of internal controls across Canada. To participate in re-engineering projects in the Controller’s group to ensure accurate accounting and general ledger presentation.
- Ensure input to and/or review of various General Ledger accounts by ensuring that the activity in the accounts is materially correct and explaining reasons for any significant variances between accounting periods.
- Performs reconciliation of the most complex Balance Sheet accounts by comparing detail items to General Ledger balances and determining disposition of any reconciling items.
- Recommends, develops and installs new or modified accounting methods, procedures and systems through interface with and consideration of the impact on several other departments.
- Organizes and controls accounting activities to meet monthly reporting deadlines. Reviews account analysis and audit schedules prepared by accountants on a monthly basis.
- Performs review of all journal voucher input to the General Ledger to ensure accuracy of coding, propriety of supporting documentation, and reasonableness of entry and its effect upon the financial records of the company.
Verifies appropriateness and accuracy of inter-company charges from the U.S. and other entities as well as maintains automated inter-company sub ledger. Conducts and/or supervises the completion of, special studies and projects as directed by management.
- Researches technical accounting questions and recommends best alternative by maintaining technical proficiency with regards to new developments in the field of accounting and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Reviews Balance Sheet account reconciliation prepared by accountants and recommends solutions to any problems noted or improvements related to accounting procedures. Assists external and internal auditors in the preparation of various workpapers and analysis and provides other information as requested.
- Conducts variance analysis of budget versus actual cost at company level and at station level.
- Maintains overall control of General Ledger system and ensures that system enhancements, accounting changes, reporting changes, etc, are properly considered and implemented on the system.
- Re-engineer accounting processes and automates functions where appropriate.
- Manage Sarbanes-Oxley process regionally for payroll.
- Support accounting staff.
- Identify/evaluate/implement opportunities to streamline processes & procedures.
- Process map procedures/functions as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Bachelor’s degree/equivalent in accounting with a CA, CGA or CMA designation.
2. Five (5) years Professional General Accounting experience with emphasis on analysis
and reconciliation, including 2 years exposure to accounting systems.
3. Knowledge of generally accounting principles.
4. Knowledge of computer terms, procedures, techniques and office automation
5. Strong analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
6. Experience in the design and evaluation of internal control.
7. Must possess advance level PC skills in Microsoft Excel and Access.
8. Knowledge of PeopleSoft would be an asset.
9. Attention to detail.
10. Ability to work well under pressure to meet with strict corporate deadlines.
11. Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
LOCATION: This position is located in Mississauga.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: The successful candidate will be offered a job with FedEx Express based on the successful completion of an interview and satisfactory current criminal record search results.
BENEFITS: FedEx delivers a comprehensive benefit program with a full spectrum of benefits to meet your diverse needs.
- Express Choice benefit plan that allows you to chose from 2 options after 3 months
- Paid vacation
- Group RRSP
- Pension plan after one year of service
- 24-hour Employee Assistance Program (well-being, child and elder care resources, nutrition and healthcare advice, financial counselling etc.)
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Multiple reward and recognition programs
- Discount shipping on FedEx services, flights, hotels, car rentals